Sunday, July 13, 2008

Coming into Frisco

I rode the freeway (Trout Creek Pass) yesterday and then across a 22 mile stretch called South Park. Unfortunately, the 30 mph wind was in my face the entire time and I could only muster about 6 mph average. By the time I arrived in Fairplay, I was out of water, tired as could be and ready for anyplace to bed down. Also unfortunately, Fairplay was hosting a group of about 2000 Harley Davidson Riders and suffice it to say there was no room at the inn. I asked a nice police officer where I could stay and she gave me permission of set up my tent in the Municipal park across the river (only a short 3 mile uphill ride in gravel). I awoke this morning to temperatures of 35 degrees and my hands were so cold I could barely put the tent away. As soon as I packed up, I went to a good family run breakfast joint and ate everything in sight. I cradled the coffee in my frozen hands. Then I climbed Hoosier Pass, an 11,000+ pass. On the way I saw, believe it or not, skateboarders flying down the mountain. No brakes except their hands. As I left the top of Hoosier and descended, the skateboarders did also. I hit forty + mph and couldn't keep up with the boarders. Arriving in Breckenridge, it looked like half of Denver was there so I kept going on an incredible fifteen mile bike path to Frisco where I am now. I will have to cross Loveland Pass tomorrow (another 11,000+ pass) so I will find a camping spot (hopefully with a shower) for tonight. I tried to put the pictures on Picasa but it says the security won't let that happen. I'll keep trying as I go. By the way, Joey, I DID pedal downhill on a couple of occasions. Now I think I'll go find a restaurant to have a leisurly lunch and charge up my phone. Stay tuned for the story of Loveland Pass.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Steve, what a kick this is to follow your bike trip. I saw Jessica today and her eyes opened wide when I asked her what her parents were up to. This blog site looks great and so do your photos. I will check in every day to see how you are doing. You could probably use a good cup of coffee. I'm not sure how you would brew it, but let me know if I can send you some. I'd be very happy to do my part to help make your journey a little more comfortable. I'll talk with you soon. Clarke

JoeyBike said...

You pedaled downhill to keep up with the skateboarders I would bet!

Sounds like you are having a blast. Thanks for taking the time to post the reports. Mary Ann and I check in every day.

JoeyBike said...

Hi Steve, Mary Ann here----

It's been fun and exciting keeping up with you. Sorry you are having trouble sending pictures, but the couple I saw knocked me socks off! Thanks Jes, for sending them on.
I am so happy you are living your dream and taking us all along for the ride.
Love, Mary Ann

jes k said...

I can't believe those skateboarders! And more than that, I can't believe the 35 degree temperature! It was a record high today -- 96!

I want to see a picture of your beard!

Remember...try to use picasa one more time with firefox and if that still doesn't work, try your www.flickr.com account. I'll continue to investigate the problem.

love you!!